VSAE - The "PackageToBundle" task failed unexpectedly

When I reference a MPB file in my MP solution, I get this error when building the MP. I can build once, but every subsequent build fails with this error. I have to close VS and open again, in order to build the MP.

System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'E:\MP\Microsoft.Linux.RHEL.6.Extended\Microsoft.Linux.RHEL.6.Extended\bin\Debug\Microsoft.Linux.RHEL.6.Extended.mpb' because it is being used by another process.

This only seems to happen if there is a reference to a MPB file. Anyone else see this h

February 12th, 2013 10:44pm

Hi Jonathan,

I have seen this, and many other similar scenarios, where I have to close VS and re-open VS to get it to build correctly.  It does seem as if there are a few bugs outstanding with VSAE, so I try to work in a way that avoids those bugs until an update is released.

Sorry I don't have better news...  maybe someone else has a better story or at least a workaround.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 13th, 2013 2:00am

Yeah - that's what I was thinking. I read in another thread recently that there will be an update to VSAE - hopefully it will be coming soon.

Thanks for the reply, David.

February 13th, 2013 5:57am

We haven't seen this internally. Can you share steps that would help us reproduce this issue?

February 14th, 2013 9:23pm

Hi Marcin,

Here are repro steps:

1. Create new Operations Manager 2012 Add-on MP project.

2. Add reference to management pack bundle. In this case, Microsoft.Linux.RHEL.6.mpb.

3. Add reference to Microsoft.Unix.Library.mp, Microsoft.Linux.Library.mp, and Microsoft.Linux.RedHat.Library.mp.

4. Add new item > empty management pack fragment. Add a discovery like shown in code below.

5. Configure project properties: generate sealed and signed, default MG, and deploy project to default MG only.

6. Build MP (F5 - start debugging).

7. Modify something, like discovery interval.

8. Build MP (F5 - start debugging). Failed: The "PackageToBundle" task failed unexpectedly

Need to close VS and open again to build. Subsequent builds will also result in this error.

<ManagementPackFragment SchemaVersion="2.0" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <Monitoring>
    <Discoveries>
      <Discovery ID="repro.OperatingSystem.Discovery" Enabled="true" Target="RHEL6!Microsoft.Linux.RHEL.6.Computer" ConfirmDelivery="false" Remotable="true" Priority="Normal">
        <Category>Discovery</Category>
        <DiscoveryTypes>
          <DiscoveryClass TypeID="RHEL6!Microsoft.Linux.RHEL.6.OperatingSystem" />
        </DiscoveryTypes>
        <DataSource ID="DS" TypeID="Unix!Microsoft.Unix.WSMan.TimedEnumerate.Filtered.ContainSubstring.DiscoveryData">
          <TargetSystem>$Target/Property[Type="Unix!Microsoft.Unix.Computer"]/NetworkName$</TargetSystem>
          <Uri>http://schemas.microsoft.com/wbem/wscim/1/cim-schema/2/SCX_OperatingSystem?__cimnamespace=root/scx</Uri>
          <Filter />
          <SplitItems>false</SplitItems>
          <Interval>86400</Interval>
          <SyncTime />
          <FilterProperty>/DataItem/WsManData/*[local-name(.)='SCX_OperatingSystem']/*[local-name(.)='Caption']</FilterProperty>
          <FilterValue>Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.</FilterValue>
          <ClassId>$MPElement[Name="RHEL6!Microsoft.Linux.RHEL.6.OperatingSystem"]$</ClassId>
          <InstanceSettings>
            <Settings>
              <Setting>
                <Name>$MPElement[Name="Unix!Microsoft.Unix.Computer"]/PrincipalName$</Name>
                <Value>$Target/Property[Type="Unix!Microsoft.Unix.Computer"]/PrincipalName$</Value>
              </Setting>
              <Setting>
                <Name>$MPElement[Name="Unix!Microsoft.Unix.OperatingSystem"]/OSVersion$</Name>
                <Value>$Data/WsManData/*[local-name(.)='SCX_OperatingSystem']/*[local-name(.)='Version']$</Value>
              </Setting>
              <Setting>
                <Name>$MPElement[Name="Unix!Microsoft.Unix.OperatingSystem"]/OSVersionDisplayName$</Name>
                <Value>$Data/WsManData/*[local-name(.)='SCX_OperatingSystem']/*[local-name(.)='Caption']$</Value>
              </Setting>
              <Setting>
                <Name>$MPElement[Name="System!System.Entity"]/DisplayName$</Name>
                <Value>$Target/Property[Type="Unix!Microsoft.Unix.Computer"]/PrincipalName$</Value>
              </Setting>
            </Settings>
          </InstanceSettings>
        </DataSource>
      </Discovery>
    </Discoveries>
  </Monitoring>  
</ManagementPackFragment>

February 14th, 2013 9:44pm

Which version of Windows are you using on this machine? Are any files used by the project stored on network shares?

February 16th, 2013 10:48am

Also does it happen if you just build without deploying to a management group?
February 16th, 2013 2:06pm

My experience is that if an attempt has been made to impoprt the MP using e.g. the console, and the import failed, the console retains a handle to the MP preventing Vs from accessing it.  Under these circumstances closing the console frees the file.
February 18th, 2013 2:15pm

Which version of Windows are you using on this machine? Are any files used by the project stored on network s

February 18th, 2013 9:40pm

Also does it happen if you just build without deploying to a managem
February 18th, 2013 9:42pm

The only way to get around this issue is by NOT using the deployment feature in VSAE. I just deploy via a powershell task after each build...

Either the Operations Console, Operations Shell, or VS has a handle open on the MPB file, and neither will close the handle. This has been repro'd in every environment I've seen so far.

March 27th, 2013 6:37am

Same problem here.

In fact, I get the same problem if I deploy it via Powershell ISE, so I have to close down Powershell ISE also..

I was hoping this would get better now that I switched from the Authoring Tool to Visual Studio, but no such luck. Until this is fixed I just have to keep closing down the Console and VS for each deployment i try.

May 26th, 2013 12:43am

Kenneth - I haven't experienced this issue at all by using the Operations Manager Shell and the import-scommanagement pack cmdlet. Don't need to close the shell, either. Try without using the ISE?
May 26th, 2013 6:15am

Same problem here even I don't use the deployment feature. Any solution?
February 11th, 2014 5:57pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics